[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Jan 3 17:48:59 PST 2004

<quote who="Jim Richardson">

> Slow:
>
> Maybe it's my config (Debian Sid on an Inspiron 8100) but GNOME took
> forever to startup, and was quite sluggish in some operations. Now, this
> is a 1GHz machine with 512MB of RAM, not exactly a candidate for the scrap
> heap, but not the fastest system out there.

Was that stuff actually loading, or the splash screen disappearing? There is
an active bug about the splash screen hanging around unnecessarily at the
moment. Yes, GTK+ 2.x is slower than 1.x (discussed here earlier), and there
are quite a few areas we need to improve. I'm assuming you're using the 2.4
currently in sid.

> GNOME terminal eats my keyboard inputs.
>
> Trying ctrlF in Mutt to forget pgp passphrase, or esc-1-k in slrn to
> edit score file, caused GT to fnord out. Couldn't find where to turn
> that off, or alter it, did poke a couple of buttons, and try to change
> it, no go.

Part of it is that you've gotta turn the menu off. Not a nice default for
terminal users who actually do useful things. Not sure about your other
ones. I'll raise this on the list; it got me when I set up a new box the
other day too.

> Nautilus is nice, but a bit bulky and slow.

Nautilus in 2.6 will be significantly faster, and work like the Classic Mac
OS finder (ie. spatial).

> How many config dirs do you need?
>
> When I fired up GNOME (from the greeter) it started things off by
> creating 3 diff .dirs, .gnome, .gnome2 and .gnome-private. Why?

This is mostly due to an unfortunate mistake during 2.0, when everyone was
oh so keen to add *2 to module names, config files, etc., etc., etc. But
hey, they're hidden, and most people won't go looking for them. I'd love to
clean this up, but it is an exposed interface now.

> Keep up the good work, I think it's better than it was a few months ago.
> But if it keeps getting slower, then I am not going to be interested
> then either. I don't replace the hw I use just because the sw gets
> slower, I replace it when it starts to break.

Always getting faster. See previous mails about this on this list.

- Jeff

             http://www.xach.com/debian-users-are-beatniks.html