[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sat Jan 3 14:18:59 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 05:39:41AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
><quote who="Chip Salzenberg">
>
>> I want F12 to bring up a menu, dammit, no matter what application is
>> currently running.  F12-t spawns a new aterm, always.  Gnome 1 didn't let
>> me do that, nor does KDE, as far as I can tell.  I'd ask about Gnome 2 but
>> for DYOFH.
>
>I'm happy to oblige. Alt-F1 brings up the Applications menu. Alt-F2 brings
>up the Run menu. You can change both of these in the Keyboard Shortcuts
>preference dialogue. (You'd be surprised by some of the stuff you can do in
>there, given all the wailing and gnashing of teeth going on.) You can assign
>a key combo to run a terminal by using gconf-editor (we will have a UI for
>this soon; we need some UI fixage between the Acme settings - our multimedia
>keys daemon, written instead of patching metacity - and keyboard shortcuts).
>
>> > Not really a good platform for serious debate about the merits of our
>> > approach to usability.
>>
>> It's a fair cop, but society's to blame.  Abstract complaints bug you
>> because you've heard too much of them?  I sympathize.  We get a lot of
>> whining in Perl land as well.
>
>The worst abstract whining is judgement on hearsay. People will rant about
>how we've ruthlessly taken all their favourite options out, but when they
>actually use it... shock horror... it "just works" and they don't have to
>expend effort on it. Or someone will skim Havoc's essay and assume the
>worst, without reading the crucial bits about weighing up the pros and cons.
>
>But the funniest one - and l-e loves it - is "because you don't think
>hackers or traditional Free Software users are your 'target market', GNOME
>is therefore totally unusable for them". It's hard to keep a straight face
>when you have to say, "gee, why are all your geeky mates using Mac OS X
>then, you nerf-herder?"

I read Havoc's essay, and for the most part, agreed. Anytime you can
make the behaviour work to avoid having to click options, the better,
and the fewer tabs and pages of options, the better. (with the caveat
that it works properly) But you have to be careful you aren't going too
far in the other direction.

KDE for example, has a dialog for "eye candy" which you can drag from
fast to slow, and it selects and unselects options as it goes. That make
sense. Having to click on each option off or on, just to slow down, or
spruce up the machine, is silly, but not having the option to turn on
(or off) a particular bit of candy that you either loath, or love, is
annoying also.

For me, neither KDE, nor GNOME are "it" Frankly, neither is WindowMaker,
(which is my WM of choice) but it's the closest I have found. (Note, I
don't use the rest of GNUStep)

I hate how the few GNOME apps I use (Gnumeric mostly now, that's about
it) like the few KDE apps I use (Kopete) drag 10 tonnes of other crap
with them when I fire them up. Although Gnumeric at least, seems to have
dropped a lot of that off recently. It actually starts up faster than it
did a while back.

My theory is that the great success of Windoze is based entirely on
providing someone to blame. 	-- Jon Tillman in ASP