[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sat Jan 3 14:07:38 PST 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 05:58:30AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
><quote who="Chip Salzenberg">
>
>> According to Chip Salzenberg:
>> > According to Jeff Waugh:
>> >
>> > Busted: fvwm.
>>
>> BTW, Jeff, how do you avoid a selection fallacy?  When you talk to people
>> who don't like Gnome, what are the odds they're *using* it?  I wouldn't
>> much respect the opinion of a person who kept using software he hated when
>> alternatives were so conveniently at hand.
>
>Breadth of choice in the Free Software world means this is a highly unlikely
>situation. We definitely have users who express dislike for specific things
>in GNOME - positively or negatively - but those are easily dealt with or
>answered.
>
>I guess the closest we would come to input like this would be through our
>distributors when they do user testing or major beta tests and gather
>feedback. Lots of interesting things have come back from Sun when they've
>done these.

Well, due in part to the discussion here, I installed GNOME last night,
and played around with it for a while, then uninstalled it (I love apt)

I am, and have been using, WindowMaker for about 4 years. I don't have a
lot of customization, but there's a bit, and I use keylauncher to do the
kbd shortcuts. That said, I didn't really like GNOME. Observations
follow.

Slow:

Maybe it's my config (Debian Sid on an Inspiron 8100) but GNOME took
forever to startup, and was quite sluggish in some operations. Now, this
is a 1GHz machine with 512MB of RAM, not exactly a candidate for the
scrap heap, but not the fastest system out there.

GNOME terminal eats my keyboard inputs.

Trying ctrlF in Mutt to forget pgp passphrase, or esc-1-k in slrn to
edit score file, caused GT to fnord out. Couldn't find where to turn
that off, or alter it, did poke a couple of buttons, and try to change
it, no go.

Nautilus is nice, but a bit bulky and slow.

The GNOME panel is usable, but nothing special to me. Again, possibly my
configuration, but I had to tweak it a fair bit to get it to actually
work.

How many config dirs do you need?

When I fired up GNOME (from the greeter) it started things off by
creating 3 diff .dirs, .gnome, .gnome2 and .gnome-private. Why?

I did like a couple of things, GNOME terminal handled URI's in the
terminal well, even from apps that don't notice them natively. The menu
structure was fairly straightforward, (although with quirks) I like the
idea of a panel, but I couldn't quite warm to the existing one.

All in all, it was a repeat for me, of the same thing 6 months ago. I
try GNOME, (and KDE and such) every few months, and allways wind up back
at WindowMaker. It's not perfect, but it fits the compromise of
configurability, and ease of use, that I like. I fire up an app, if I
want an icon for it to stick around so I can click on it to start next
time, I drag the icon to the dock or clip. Done. If I decide I no longer
need that icon hanging around, I drag it off the clip or dock, and it
goes away.

Keep up the good work, I think it's better than it was a few months ago.
But if it keeps getting slower, then I am not going to be interested
then either. I don't replace the hw I use just because the sw gets
slower, I replace it when it starts to break.

I prefer an OS made by programmers that need marketing
than an OS made by marketing that need programmers... Use linux
 (Submitted by Christian Olivier)