[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Adam Sampson azz@us-lot.org
Sat Jan 3 13:58:05 PST 2004

Jeff Waugh <jdub@perkypants.org> writes:

>> Then again, GNOME got away with changing major things like the OK/Cancel
>> button ordering for the better without too many people complaining,
> *snicker* Wow, which mailing lists and websites were you reading while 2.0
> was being born? ;-)

Well, yes, I remember lots of developers and random hangers-on
complaining about it when it was being discussed, but my experience
since GNOME 2 came out is that people actually *using* it for the
first time don't complain about -- or even notice -- that change,
because it just works.

> I think it's the pinball-machine effect. Imagine if there was an
> audible "bonk!" every time the window snapped. That's how some
> people perceive effects like that.

OK, so there's actually an accessibility-related reason for not having
it there by default. Interesting.

> In 2.6, we'll have Nautilus plugins too, which will be waaaay smarter and
> cooler.

Yep, that'd solve that problem. Cool. :)

--
Adam Sampson <azz@us-lot.org>                        <http://offog.org/>