[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Chip Salzenberg chip@pobox.com
Sat Jan 3 11:49:57 PST 2004

According to Jeff Waugh:
> Alt-F1 brings up the Applications menu. Alt-F2 brings up the Run
> menu.  You can change both of these in the Keyboard Shortcuts
> preference dialogue.

One last question, if you don't mind: Can you assign single-key
shortcuts for those menus?  Can I arrange that an arbitrary keystroke
at those menus run an arbitrary command or bring up a submenu?  That's
what I do with fvwm menus.

> You can assign a key combo to run a terminal by using gconf-editor
> [...]

My menu usage is a little more advanced.  F12-x-y runs ssh to machine
Y in set X, where X and Y are personal mnemonics.  (BTW, for you
keyboard fanatics out there, the main shortcut doesn't require as much
finger movement as F12.)  Meta-. and Meta-, moves to previous and next
desktops, no matter the focus or context.  Etc.

> We need some UI fixage between the Acme settings - our multimedia
> keys daemon, written instead of patching metacity - and keyboard
> shortcuts).

The learn/use dichotomy shows up most visibly in the use of keyboard
shortcuts, in my experience.  One of the things I like about the
Windows UI standards is that you really don't need a mouse; if your
mouse is busted you can get along fine with most apps, albeit with a
lot of arrowing and tabbing.  But I digress.

> It's hard to keep a straight face when you have to say, "gee, why
> are all your geeky mates using Mac OS X then, you nerf-herder?"

OS X is an odd case, though.  Gnome is just part of a complex system
that has to be managed and that has visible seams.  OS X is a womb.
--
Chip Salzenberg               - a.k.a. -               <chip@pobox.com>