[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Jan 3 10:58:30 PST 2004

<quote who="Chip Salzenberg">

> According to Chip Salzenberg:
> > According to Jeff Waugh:
> > > nine times out of ten I ask the above question and the person says,
> > > "well, I don't use GNOME, I use fvwm or WindowMaker".
> >
> > Busted: fvwm.
>
> BTW, Jeff, how do you avoid a selection fallacy?  When you talk to people
> who don't like Gnome, what are the odds they're *using* it?  I wouldn't
> much respect the opinion of a person who kept using software he hated when
> alternatives were so conveniently at hand.

Breadth of choice in the Free Software world means this is a highly unlikely
situation. We definitely have users who express dislike for specific things
in GNOME - positively or negatively - but those are easily dealt with or
answered.

I guess the closest we would come to input like this would be through our
distributors when they do user testing or major beta tests and gather
feedback. Lots of interesting things have come back from Sun when they've
done these.

- Jeff

       "Microsoft treats security vulnerabilities as public relations
                        problems." - Bruce Schneier