[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Jan 3 10:39:41 PST 2004

<quote who="Chip Salzenberg">

> I want F12 to bring up a menu, dammit, no matter what application is
> currently running.  F12-t spawns a new aterm, always.  Gnome 1 didn't let
> me do that, nor does KDE, as far as I can tell.  I'd ask about Gnome 2 but
> for DYOFH.

I'm happy to oblige. Alt-F1 brings up the Applications menu. Alt-F2 brings
up the Run menu. You can change both of these in the Keyboard Shortcuts
preference dialogue. (You'd be surprised by some of the stuff you can do in
there, given all the wailing and gnashing of teeth going on.) You can assign
a key combo to run a terminal by using gconf-editor (we will have a UI for
this soon; we need some UI fixage between the Acme settings - our multimedia
keys daemon, written instead of patching metacity - and keyboard shortcuts).

> > Not really a good platform for serious debate about the merits of our
> > approach to usability.
>
> It's a fair cop, but society's to blame.  Abstract complaints bug you
> because you've heard too much of them?  I sympathize.  We get a lot of
> whining in Perl land as well.

The worst abstract whining is judgement on hearsay. People will rant about
how we've ruthlessly taken all their favourite options out, but when they
actually use it... shock horror... it "just works" and they don't have to
expend effort on it. Or someone will skim Havoc's essay and assume the
worst, without reading the crucial bits about weighing up the pros and cons.

But the funniest one - and l-e loves it - is "because you don't think
hackers or traditional Free Software users are your 'target market', GNOME
is therefore totally unusable for them". It's hard to keep a straight face
when you have to say, "gee, why are all your geeky mates using Mac OS X
then, you nerf-herder?"

;-)

- Jeff

      "In addition to these ample facilities, there exists a powerful
       configuration tool called gcc." - Elliot Hughes, author of lwm