[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sat Jan 3 08:52:08 PST 2004

<quote who="Jay Sulzberger">

> > Not sure this one would fly; renaming on the label shows the full name
> > selected before you start changing it, avoids having a dialogue, and
> > gives the impression of direct manipulation.
>
> It is often important that the old name be conveniently available for
> inspection, copying, storage, commentary, etc. throughout rename time.
> For me it is important almost every time I do a rename.

The old name is *immediately* available. When you rename, the old name is
there in full, selected for editing. You needn't start typing over the
selection - you can move around and modify what's already there.

- Jeff

  "GIMP is the primary tool in my graphics work. It is my gcc and Emacs."
                             - Tuomas Kuosmanen