[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Fri Jan 2 14:11:46 PST 2004

<quote who="Jeremy Hankins">

> Jeff Waugh <jdub@perkypants.org> writes:
>
> > Freedom is no good if it's too fucking hard to use or
> > understand. Surely a "freer" interface is one that doesn't chain users
> > to the floor making 9457 decisions before they even get started?
>
> Neither does freedom mean having it easy.  What's your point?

Orthonal, aren't they? :-)

> There are a whole range of social and psychological issues that make
> computers hard for folks of the current generation(s).  That doesn't
> change the fact that sometimes you have to put some effort in up front in
> order to get something out of it later.

And we're minimising that, because computers shouldn't make people do inane
things to get their work done. I'm not sure why this is so controversial. I
get the distinct feeling that there are some rabbits-in-headlights reactions
going on here...

- Jeff

   "The beanbag is a triumph of modern day eclectic colourism..." - Catie
                                   Flick