[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeremy Hankins nowan@nowan.org
Fri Jan 2 14:05:35 PST 2004

Jeff Waugh <jdub@perkypants.org> writes:

> Freedom is no good if it's too fucking hard to use or
> understand. Surely a "freer" interface is one that doesn't chain users
> to the floor making 9457 decisions before they even get started?

Neither does freedom mean having it easy.  What's your point?  There are
a whole range of social and psychological issues that make computers
hard for folks of the current generation(s).  That doesn't change the
fact that sometimes you have to put some effort in up front in order to
get something out of it later.

> I think usability and freedom are totally orthogonal.

Well, I disagree.  Wow, unsubstantiated claims are easy!  (If the bit
about how people can make mistakes was relevant somehow you'll have to
draw the connection a bit clearer for me.)

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>