[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Chip Salzenberg chip@pobox.com
Fri Jan 2 13:22:58 PST 2004

According to Jeff Waugh:
> http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/2003/sequelsyndrome/

I think I get it now.  Gnome 1 was a second system where the "first
system" was, more or less, the common GUI standards of the time,
esp. Windows and CDE and to a lesser extent MacOS.  Its option-heavy
design was a reaction against the perceived lack of user control in
those GUIs.  Gnome 2 is a reaction against that reaction, and has
apparently gone too far (again) but in the opposite direction.

I find it very revealing that the given slide presentation uses this
quote, apparently with approval:

  "It's not sufficient to 'use simple words to explain things'.
   Things must actually *be* simple, which is much harder."
      -- Martin Pool

But the world (especially the human mental world) *is* still complex.
Any system that has designs on being an interface to that entire complex
world can't be simple and also adequate.  I quote Chairman Larry to
summarize this point of view:

  "Using a simple tool to solve a complex problem does not result in a
   simple solution."

and:

  "Lispers are among the best grads of the Sweep-It-Under-Someone-
   Else's-Carpet School of Simulated Simplicity.  [Was that sufficiently
   incendiary? :-)]"

On the other hand, if you don't like Perl, then bucking Chairman Larry
may be considered a good sign.  There's More Than One Way To Do It.
--
Chip Salzenberg               - a.k.a. -               <chip@pobox.com>