[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Fri Jan 2 12:18:40 PST 2004

<quote who="Jeremy Hankins">

> It's all about freedom (i.e., the power to interact with your
> environment).  If you don't care about it I'm not going to try to teach
> you.  But I still think you're dead wrong.  And it should be no surprise
> that free software tends to create freer interfaces.

Freedom is no good if it's too fucking hard to use or understand. Surely a
"freer" interface is one that doesn't chain users to the floor making 9457
decisions before they even get started?

I think usability and freedom are totally orthogonal. Developers have the
freedom to do *utterly* idiotic stuff to their users, without even realising
it. Check this out, particularly slides 15-20. We were *totally* off our
heads.

  http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/2003/sequelsyndrome/

- Jeff

                "What inspired you to become a bus driver?"
                             "Linus Torvalds."