[linux-elitists] Re: GNOME > you

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Thu Jan 1 19:07:59 PST 2004

<quote who="Jeremy Hankins">

> To put it differently: getting a job done is just a matter of expressing
> it in the idiom of the interface.  This applies whether the interface is
> English or Python, basketball or MS Word.  Choosing the right idiom is
> essential if you want to work efficiently.  Ignoring this fact is, as far
> as I can tell, a mistake unique to the computer field.  This is all the
> more ironic as with computers we have much more control over the idiom we
> use.

"Choosing the right idiom is essential if you want to work efficiently."

  Oh, but that's so old-world. Surely we can do better than that nowadays.

"Creating the right idiom is essential if you want to work efficiently."

  Aha.

*You* can still choose, because you have the geeky passion in your loins for
these kinds of choices. Why should everyone else be lumped with the same
choices? Why should they be so exposed to the mechanics? Why can't we make
the initial experience as approachable and satisfying as possible (even if
we learn from and base it on mantras like "separation of structure and
presentation" that our audience still won't care about)?

I'm not expecting you to be happy with my answers. "You're not the target
audience." :-)

- Jeff

    Echidnas, or at least the ones I've met, don't have joy. Adults very
     rarely have joy. Kids have hyperkinetic nuclear joy in abundance.