[linux-elitists] management not understanding programmers styles

Ben Woodard ben@zork.net
Thu Feb 26 13:54:31 PST 2004

begin  Adam Sampson  quotation:
> Ben Woodard <ben@zork.net> writes:
>
> > Does anyone happen to remember something that documents something like
> > this?
>
> Perhaps you're thinking of the roles in "The Mythical Man Month" by
> Fred Brooks? I don't have a copy of the book to hand, but
> <http://www.cs.usfca.edu/~parrt/course/601/lectures/man.month.html>
> cites them as:

I believe that you have hit upon the exact reference that I was
thinking of. Thank you.

> # Surgeon: chief programmer
> # Co-pilot: able to do what surgeon does but is less experienced
> # Administrator: handles money, people, space, machines, etc...)
> # Editor: surgeon must do doc, but editor must clean it up
> # Two secretaris
> # Program clerk: maintaining technical records
> # Toolsmith: serves surgeon's need for tools, utilities

I believe that the programmer that I'm talking about is really a
toolsmith.