[linux-elitists] Re: CC considered harmful

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Feb 23 17:44:04 PST 2004

begin Ben Finney quotation of Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 11:50:46AM +1100:
> On 23-Feb-2004, Don Marti wrote:
> > Now that you explain it so well maybe I'll just take a peek at the
> > Mailman configuration.
> >
> >   max_num_recipients (privacy): Ceiling on acceptable number of
> >   recipients for a posting.
> >
> >   If a posting has this number, or more, of recipients, it is held for
> >   admin approval. Use 0 for no ceiling.
> >
> > Looks like just the thing.  Consider this mail a test.
>
> Doesn't quite sound like the thing.  The objection is to posting to the
> list, and Cc to an address *which is already subscribed to the list*.
> It's legitimate to Cc an external party, for their info or further
> input, if they're not on the list and it's somehow inappropriate to ask
> them to subscribe.

This really doesn't come up that much, and it's easy
enough to forward the list mail to the non-subscriber.
Remember, the the non-subscriber can't reply to the
list, so someone would have to forward his or her
reply anyway.

> Are you proposing that all such cases be canned?  Or that you (as list
> admin) will make that decision in each case?

I'll throw them all out and if it's important the
person can post again with one To: address.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                          Learn Linux and free software