[linux-elitists] Re: CC considered harmful

Adam Kessel adam@rosi-kessel.org
Mon Feb 23 17:01:42 PST 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 11:50:46AM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Preferable would be if Mailman could avoid sending a message to someone
> already listed in the recipient headers.  However, even that doesn't
> solve the problem -- you'd receive the copy directly to you (which is
> outside Mailman's control), but not the list copy, which is exactly the
> opposite of the desired result.

This is precisely the feature I was writing about that started this
thread.  I think.  Or maybe that was a different thread:

http://zgp.org/mailman/options/linux-elitists

> Avoid duplicate copies of messages?

> When you are listed explicitly in the To: or Cc: headers of a list
> message, you can opt to not receive another copy from the mailing list.
> Select Yes to avoid receiving copies from the mailing list; select No to
> receive copies.

> If the list has member personalized messages enabled, and you elect to
> receive copies, every copy will have a X-Mailman-Copy: yes header added
> to it.

So Mailman can avoid sending a message to someone already listed in the
recipient headers; and it does have the shortcoming you describe.
--
Adam Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org