[linux-elitists] Re: CC considered harmful

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Mon Feb 23 16:50:46 PST 2004

On 23-Feb-2004, Don Marti wrote:
> Now that you explain it so well maybe I'll just take a peek at the
> Mailman configuration.
>
>   max_num_recipients (privacy): Ceiling on acceptable number of
>   recipients for a posting.
>
>   If a posting has this number, or more, of recipients, it is held for
>   admin approval. Use 0 for no ceiling.
>
> Looks like just the thing.  Consider this mail a test.

Doesn't quite sound like the thing.  The objection is to posting to the
list, and Cc to an address *which is already subscribed to the list*.
It's legitimate to Cc an external party, for their info or further
input, if they're not on the list and it's somehow inappropriate to ask
them to subscribe.

Are you proposing that all such cases be canned?  Or that you (as list
admin) will make that decision in each case?

Preferable would be if Mailman could avoid sending a message to someone
already listed in the recipient headers.  However, even that doesn't
solve the problem -- you'd receive the copy directly to you (which is
outside Mailman's control), but not the list copy, which is exactly the
opposite of the desired result.

--
 \       "As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are |
  `\    not certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer |