CC considered harmful (was Re: [linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 23 14:57:55 PST 2004

on Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:02:47PM -0500, Aaron Sherman (ajs@ajs.com) wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 09:04, Andrew wrote:
> > > Tell that to people who are on list digests, or tired or waiting
> > > for slow list servers.
> >
> > That's their own problem.  They can also include a signature line
> > that says "I'm a dumbass on a digest list/slow list server, please
> > CC me directly."  In my own skewed perception of reality I conclude
> > that people who are communicating via mailing lists prefer to have
> > the communication stay on the list.
>
> Well, since it's been brought up, and the usual round of "but I want my
> mailbox to be the way I want it" responses are all in place, let me
> analyze this from a technical standpoint:
>
> To start at the high level, the CC/TO distinction is semantic. There is
> no difference in the way the mailer will handle these messages (and the
> SMTP envelope will be the same when it reaches your mailbox regardless
> of which header slot you were in).

There *is* a distinction in how MDAs will (or can) process this
information.  Previously discussed.

I already trim dupe posts.  Private messages tend to arrive prior to
list posts (as noted:  lists tend to be lagged at least slightly, and at
the very least include an additional processing step).  So I can the
dupe but end up with what ought to be list mail in my Inbox (or graylist
box).

And again, irony noted in light of MacCana's insistence on using the
right, current, full-featured tool for the job.

Peace.

    The black hat community is drooling over the possibility of a secure
    execution environment that would allow applications to run in a
    secure area which cannot be attached to via debuggers.
    - Jason Spence, on Palladium aka NGCSB aka "Trusted Computing"