CC considered harmful (was Re: [linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 23 01:11:40 PST 2004

on Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 05:44:08PM +1100, Mike MacCana (mikem@cyber.com.au) wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > on Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 09:53:53PM -0800, Jim Thompson (jim@netgate.com) wrote:
> >
> > Jim:  would you and Mike please remove me from your CC lists.
>
> Will do.
>
> > Mike:  this is among the reason CC's are annoying as hell:  they
> > propogate.
>
> Tell that to people who are on list digests, or tired or waiting for slow
> list servers.

Let's amplify on this.

You're justifying annoyance and inconvenience on my part due to your own
inability to use and/or switch to non-broken software.  Which in light
of the prior thread is more than mildly ironic[1].

Email is verging on marginally useful as it is, and not just for
nontechnical people.  In foreseable time (a few years), it's going to
take, literally, hours to download just spam, at current rates of spam
increase[2].

I track way too much mail as it is.  I look at my list subscriptions as
necessary evils:  content to wade through, cruft as well as gold.  If a
list doesn't serve my purposes, I'll cut it.  And I've been doing that
more often of late.

l-e has been a relatively quiet, high s/n list for a few years, with
some intelligent people on it.  It's far superior to a number of LUG
lists I track (some of which are little but annoyance value).  I don't
mind heated discussion, but it had damned well better be reasoned and
informed.  Both standards have been lagging in, oh, the past 4-5 months.

Back to the point:  communicate as if you're asking someone a favor.
You are.  Betray that trust, and you'll find yourself talking to noone.
Or nobodies[3].

As you've already crossed that line, this is mostly intended for the
rest of the list.

Peace.

Notes:

1.  As Rick Moen says:  still your best entertainment value.

2.  3496 spams in the past 28 days.  Doubling time ~6 months.  9.3 KiB
    per spam.  4.4 KiB/s effective download rate, or about 3m53s per
    MiB.  I see 4 hours download time in six doubling periods -- three
    years.

3.  Or worse.  No minds.

    The dog returns to it's vomit.