[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Martin Pool mbp@samba.org
Sun Feb 22 22:54:20 PST 2004

On 22 Feb 2004, Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com> wrote:

> > > but in my mind, there is no real functional difference between .deb,
> > > .rpm, and .cab.
> >
> > .deb, rpm (with their user tools, like up2date, apt, etc) and emerge are
> > similar - they provide a standardized way to install, uninstall and
> > rebuild software. I think you could probably emulate emerges major unique
> > feature - dependency resolution for source package installs - in a few
> > lines of shell if you wanted to.

> Show me the "auto-build (with cross-compilers) all of 'sarge' from
> source for PowerPC (or your favorite non-x86 target) script.

This seems like a non-sequiter.  Are you trying to say that you can
cross-build everything with your choice of distribution, but
binary-based systems can't do it?

If so, would you like to share your magic technique for making
arbitrary packages cross-buildable?

If not, why are you asking Mike to do something that you can't do?

--
Martin