[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Jon Portnoy avenj@gentoo.org
Sun Feb 22 22:32:48 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 10:24:14PM -0800, Jim Thompson wrote:

> Mike MacCana writes:
> > On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Jim Thompson wrote:
>
> > I can't imagine Gentoo's packaging system is too different from RPM or Deb
> > (plus the various tools that sit on top of them) they all add  useful
> > metadata to standardize the build and install process of their thousands
> > of packages,
>
> Yeah, its called 'Makefiles'.
>
> A lot like how BSD builds (and has built) for years.

BSD basically forces Makefiles into a role they weren't really designed
for; it ends up getting messy, in my opinion. I'm not keen on BSD in
general, though.

--
Jon Portnoy
avenj/irc.freenode.net