[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Jim Thompson jim@netgate.com
Sun Feb 22 22:24:14 PST 2004

Mike MacCana writes:
> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004, Jim Thompson wrote:

> I can't imagine Gentoo's packaging system is too different from RPM or Deb
> (plus the various tools that sit on top of them) they all add  useful
> metadata to standardize the build and install process of their thousands
> of packages,

Yeah, its called 'Makefiles'.

A lot like how BSD builds (and has built) for years.

> > but in my mind, there is no real functional difference between .deb,
> > .rpm, and .cab.
>
> .deb, rpm (with their user tools, like up2date, apt, etc) and emerge are
> similar - they provide a standardized way to install, uninstall and
> rebuild software. I think you could probably emulate emerges major unique
> feature - dependency resolution for source package installs - in a few
> lines of shell if you wanted to.

Show me the "auto-build (with cross-compilers) all of 'sarge' from
source for PowerPC (or your favorite non-x86 target) script.

Jim

--
"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs, or Unix for everyone but they work for me."
Jim Thompson (jthomp@central.sun.com), paraphrasing Hunter S.Thompson in 1988