[linux-elitists] Avoiding Mailman Duplicates

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 20 21:45:47 PST 2004

on Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 02:43:34PM -0800, Rick Moen (rick@linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> Quoting Karsten Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com):
> > on Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 01:40:02PM -0800, Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com) wrote:
>
> > > Why don't you read the To and Cc headers?
> >
> > Because that tells you where the mail was directed to, on a first-match
> > basis.  Not where you received it from.
>
> I think he meant "Why were you caught off-guard by people unexpectedly
> departing from ongoing list threads into private mail, when the fact
> that they'd done so is visible in the To and Cc headers of the private
> mail in question?
>
> At least, that's how I interpreted Aaron's (fair and logical) question,
> and is what I addressed.

My own mental (and possibly banner-trained) blinders generally skip over
the headers of a message.  I'll read 'em if I need to, or if the context
is confusing, but frequently don't.

Peace.

   There is no K5 Cabal:  http://www.kuro5hin.org/