[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Mike MacCana mikem@cyber.com.au
Fri Feb 20 21:01:55 PST 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> on Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 08:00:16AM -0800, The Robber of Zork (robber@zork.net) wrote:
> > begin  Adam Sampson  quotation:
> >
> > > This isn't much help if you're trying to unpack an RPM on a non-Linux
> > > system...
> >
> > Why so shy? Which "non-Linux system"?
>
> RPM is a binary format.

As is tar. We already know this.

> Standard RPM tools ('rpm' or 'alien') require standard RPM libraries to
> function.

Its important that any Linux system can unpack an package, and RPM meets
that (using my personal definition of 'Linux', which is a Linux
distribution that is attempting to conform to the LSB. If it isn't, then I
don't think it's Linux. Yes, really).

The advantage of being able to unpack a Linux (RPM) package on other non
Linux systems is pretty minimal. Does the fact that bz2 isn't installed on
most proprietary Unix or Windows make .bz2 a 'non Unix native' date
format? Nope, because you can get tools to easily unpack a bz2 on Soalris,
Windows, etc. As you can with RPM.

Mike