[linux-elitists] Avoiding Mailman Duplicates

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 20 14:25:54 PST 2004

on Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 01:40:02PM -0800, Aaron Lehmann (aaronl@vitelus.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 11:36:03AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> > This actually turns out to be the single biggest gain (of several) I
> > garnered from filtering (based on the headers you list, _not_ the
> > subject lines) all mailing list traffic into other mailboxes:  I've
> > never subsequently been taken by surprise by (and annoyed by) people
> > departing from public threads into private mail without notice, e.g.,
> > I complete a long and meticulous reply, only to notice at the last
> > minute (or just after sending) that I've been drafted without my
> > knowledge into private tutoring.
>
> Why don't you read the To and Cc headers?

Because that tells you where the mail was directed to, on a first-match
basis.  Not where you received it from.

List mail is mail I receive from a list.  I file it according to the
list I receive it from.

Cases that break when using to/cc:

   - Mail to multiple lists -- I'll filter it all to the first-match
     'To' or 'Cc' header.

   - Mail to list Cc'd to me.  See Rick's explanation.

The mailman "fix" is moderately borken.  It replaces one problem with
another.

Peace.

   Spread the real scoop on Xenu and The Church of Scientology, link