[linux-elitists] Avoiding Mailman Duplicates

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Feb 20 11:36:03 PST 2004

Quoting Teh Entar-Nick (nick@teh.entar.net):

> I'm filtering based on whether or not it actually came from a mailing
> list.  The mail the list relays to me will have these list headers,
> and any new lists will appear as I subscribe.  Mail sent directly to
> me via To: or Cc: or Bcc: will appear in my normal spool.
>
> You already listed the reason why I do not filter based on subject
> lines.  Too many people take conversations off-list without changing
> the list tag to [OFF-LIST] in the subject.

This actually turns out to be the single biggest gain (of several) I
garnered from filtering (based on the headers you list, _not_ the
subject lines) all mailing list traffic into other mailboxes:  I've
never subsequently been taken by surprise by (and annoyed by) people
departing from public threads into private mail without notice, e.g.,
I complete a long and meticulous reply, only to notice at the last
minute (or just after sending) that I've been drafted without my
knowledge into private tutoring.

At which point, I also can no longer correct the correspondent's
oversight by moving our exchange back to public distribution without
violating netiquette (though publicly posting whatever portion of the
correspondent's private mail I quoted inside my reply) -- an annoying
dilemma.

Fortunately, filtering list mail into a distinctive mailbox renders that
particular chump move (unannounced and unexplained departure into
private mail) instantly visible, so an entire category of technopeasant
annoyances has been eliminated, in one go.

--
Cheers,                           "This is Unix.  Stop acting so helpless."
Rick Moen                                               -- D.J. Bernstein