[linux-elitists] Re: [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 18 18:28:01 PST 2004

on Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:15:59AM -0600, Brian McGroarty (brian@mcgroarty.net) wrote:
> > on Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 12:47:32AM -0500, James Morris (jmorris@redhat.com) wrote:
> > > On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > >
> > > I just had a flash of what Linux would have looked like if it existed in
> > > the 70s.
> >
> > To clarify what I was referring to:
> >
> >     http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten/Images/WM-6x-update2.png
>
> I don't remember wmaker having a window tiling function.

No tiling, but edge-resistance is useful.

> You sized and positioned all those by hand?

   for host in <list>; do launch rxvt -geometry 80x20 -e ssh $host; done

...where 'launch' is a "run arguments backgrounded" shell script.

If I run something like that frequently, I'll hardcode in the positional
geometries.

There's also smart placement, which if used with appropriate window
sizing, does effectively tile windows.

And there's "save session" which will save applications by invocation
argument and position.  I use that on my Workspace 1 base windows.

Peace.

   A guide to GNU/Linux partitioning:
     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/partition.html