[linux-elitists] Re: [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Feb 17 18:26:30 PST 2004

Quoting Karsten Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com):

> Debian uses a 2.2 kernel for its _install_....

...with an alternate 2.4 option selectable at the initial installer screen.
(We're speaking, here, of the default 3.0/woody installer, as oppoosed
to any of the numerous others.)

> You can (and should) upgrade your kernel after installation.

Readers should note that this is true even if you opted the 2.4 boot
flavour during installation.  I've heard that the replacement installer
under development for sarge, dubbed "debian-installer", will make guide
the admin through doing so.

rick@linuxmafia.com     modern-American-English-usage-improvement association.