[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution? [was Re: RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder]

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Tue Feb 17 18:13:16 PST 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 12:32:01AM +0100, Steffen Beyer wrote:
>On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:00:20 -0800
>Jim Richardson <warlock@eskimo.com> wrote:
>
>> This can be a problem, but I for one, prefer to let the distro handle
>> the main stuff, and any changes I need, I either repackage as a .deb, or
>> handle in /usr/local.
>
>Not to forget stow(8):
>
>$ apt-cache show stow
>Package: stow
>Section: admin
>Installed-Size: 280
>Maintainer: Guillaume Morin <gemorin@debian.org>
>Architecture: all
>Version: 1.3.3-1
>Depends: perl
>Suggests: doc-base
>Filename: pool/main/s/stow/stow_1.3.3-1_all.deb
>Size: 58330
>MD5sum: 70a7dc8b8a105f6ad99798d73eaf372c
> GNU Stow helps the system administrator organise files under /usr/local/
> by allowing each piece of software to be installed in its own tree under
> /usr/local/stow/, and then using symlinks to create the illusion that
> all the software is installed in the same place.
>
>I'm using it happily for years on various systems.

There's also checkinstall

Package: checkinstall
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 132
Maintainer: Matt Hope <dopey@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 1.5.3-1
Depends: installwatch (>> 0.6)
Filename: pool/main/c/checkinstall/checkinstall_1.5.3-1_all.deb
Size: 34260
MD5sum: 1e4eb5a8c1329a9f199e1cbb63f65cca
 CheckInstall keeps track of all the files created or
 modified by your installation script ("make install"
 "make install_modules", "setup", etc), builds a
 standard binary package and installs it in your
 system giving you the ability to uninstall it with your
 distribution's standard package management utilities.

I've used it a bit also.

To believe in gun control, one has to believe that guns are not an
effective means of self-defense, which is why police carry them.