[linux-elitists] Re: [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 17 17:43:00 PST 2004

on Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 09:14:52AM -0800, Greg KH (greg@kroah.com) wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 02:55:26AM -0800, Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> > Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > > Yes, the Debian camp is very full of hubris. Among it is:
> >
> > Let me open by saying, I'm a veteran Debian user, and also prone to
> > outbursts of hubris.
> >
> > > * That they think or claim that it is the only distribution that is
> > > truly free software, which is a direct insult to the other open source
> > > distros out there.
> >
> > I don't know of any other Linux distribution which does the kind of
> > thorough license checking that Debian does.
> >
> > In fact, AFAIK, Debian's default install doesn't contain any kernel code
> > which has been claimed by SCO.
>
> Oh that's a pretty "unique" way of saying that they still rely on the
> 2.2 kernel.  There's all sorts of reason why doing this is a bad idea,
> and none of it has to do with SCO, so don't try to claim that...

Debian uses a 2.2 kernel for its _install_.  Base installation of
stable.  Which came out in July, 2002.  Debian practices a tradition of
conservitavism, in that once an official release is made, it isn't
changed, except as necessary for bug and security fixes.  For sites,
systems, or users relying on stability and long-term predictability,
this is very useful.

Of course, nobody is holding a gun to your head requiring you to run
stable and 2.2 kernels.

You can (and should) upgrade your kernel after installation.

You can use a precompiled kernel from another source, build your own
from the Standard Places, or use one of Debian's stock kernels.

For x86 architecture, Debian has current builds with backported fixes of
kernels ranging from 2.2.20 to 2.6.1, built for 386, 686, 686-smp, k7,
k7-smp, and other specific targets.

Debian provides the ability to be, at your option, current, or
conservative.

I'll note that the *2.0* kernel tree is still under development, with
2.0.40 (IIRC) recently released.

GNU/Linux is about flexibility and choice.  If you can safely run the
latest and greatest, Debian tends to release a patched binary within a
few days of kernel releases (Works For Me[tm]).  If you'd prefer to
stick to older versions, for whatever your reasons, this is also
supported.

Note that in addition to stable, there are official tracks for testing,
unstable, and experimental releases.  Choose your bleed level
appropriately.

Peace.

   Comic tragedy:  MobiliX sued by Asterix publisher over 'iX' trademark
     http://tuxmobil.org/mobilix_asterix.html