[linux-elitists] rambleling about windows source code

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Tue Feb 17 16:27:47 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 19:23, Mike MacCana wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Greg Folkert wrote:

> > > The Linux 2.6 kernel source is ~30MB compressed, and it compiles down
> > > to ~1MB.
> >
> > Ahem... The Linux Source Code is ~241.5 MB uncompressed ( ~30MB
> > compressed) and it compiles to ~38.5 MB with everything compiled and
> > ~10MB compressed.
> >
> > You are forgetting Windows includes many drivers and so on, so we have
> > to include similar things in Linux.
>
> You're forgetting the Windows includes an oeprating system,
> wheras the Linux kernel doesn't :^P

\I386\DRIVERS.CAB ~76MB from the WXPP Install CD That is compressed.
Guess what... That is indeed drivers only...

But I cannot refute your statement, That JUST the Linux doesn't include
an operating system.

I'd have to argue that other point of Windows including an Operating
System though. It is definitely questionable.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net