[linux-elitists] rambleling about windows source code

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Tue Feb 17 16:18:46 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 18:56, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 17 Feb 2004, Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm having trouble coming to grips with 30GB of source code for
> > something that fits on a CDROM when compiled.
>
> The Linux 2.6 kernel source is ~30MB compressed, and it compiles down
> to ~1MB.

Ahem... The Linux Source Code is ~241.5 MB uncompressed ( ~30MB
compressed) and it compiles to ~38.5 MB with everything compiled and
~10MB compressed.

You are forgetting Windows includes many drivers and so on, so we have
to include similar things in Linux.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net