[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution? [was Re: RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder]

Steffen Beyer sbeyer@reactor.de
Tue Feb 17 15:32:01 PST 2004

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:00:20 -0800
Jim Richardson <warlock@eskimo.com> wrote:

> This can be a problem, but I for one, prefer to let the distro handle
> the main stuff, and any changes I need, I either repackage as a .deb, or
> handle in /usr/local.

Not to forget stow(8):

$ apt-cache show stow
Package: stow
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 280
Maintainer: Guillaume Morin <gemorin@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Version: 1.3.3-1
Depends: perl
Suggests: doc-base
Filename: pool/main/s/stow/stow_1.3.3-1_all.deb
Size: 58330
MD5sum: 70a7dc8b8a105f6ad99798d73eaf372c
 GNU Stow helps the system administrator organise files under /usr/local/
 by allowing each piece of software to be installed in its own tree under
 /usr/local/stow/, and then using symlinks to create the illusion that
 all the software is installed in the same place.

I'm using it happily for years on various systems.

Regards,
--
Steffen Beyer <sbeyer@reactor.de>

GnuPG key fingerprint: 6C9B 2844 AF75 AC7A C38C  9FFD 06CB A788 398B D2D9
Public key available upon request or at http://wwwkeys.pgp.net