[linux-elitists] rambleling about windows source code

Jim Thompson jim@netgate.com
Tue Feb 17 15:18:01 PST 2004

Ben Woodard writes:
> On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 15:33, Martin Pool wrote:
> > I don't think they could quite come at the GNU GPL.  I think the Sun
> > Java shmozzle has shown that for licensing, near enough to free is not
> > good enough.  So perhaps they will try this, but it will flop.  On top
> > of this, there are the technical issues of outside developers trying
> > to come to grips with 30GB (really?) of source.  Mozilla and
> > OpenOffice are nothing by comparison.
>
> Knowing how this works in the linux world. I don't think that this is
> really a problem. You learn the bits and pieces that are of interest to
> you and ignore the rest. For example, right now I do kernel programming.
> Does this mean I know the whole kernel -- no. I know the ia64 MCA
> handling code really well, plus a couple of drives and then have an
> overview of how certain other parts work.
>
> Having the source to Windows is basically, like having all the SRPMs to
> a distro like Fedora or the source debs for debian. You don't have to
> understand all of it, to do useful work.

I'm having trouble coming to grips with 30GB of source code for
something that fits on a CDROM when compiled.

Jim

--
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure."
			-- Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)