[linux-elitists] rambleling about windows source code

Ben Woodard woodard@redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 14:15:20 PST 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 15:33, Martin Pool wrote:
> I don't think they could quite come at the GNU GPL.  I think the Sun
> Java shmozzle has shown that for licensing, near enough to free is not
> good enough.  So perhaps they will try this, but it will flop.  On top
> of this, there are the technical issues of outside developers trying
> to come to grips with 30GB (really?) of source.  Mozilla and
> OpenOffice are nothing by comparison.

Knowing how this works in the linux world. I don't think that this is
really a problem. You learn the bits and pieces that are of interest to
you and ignore the rest. For example, right now I do kernel programming.
Does this mean I know the whole kernel -- no. I know the ia64 MCA
handling code really well, plus a couple of drives and then have an
overview of how certain other parts work.

Having the source to Windows is basically, like having all the SRPMs to
a distro like Fedora or the source debs for debian. You don't have to
understand all of it, to do useful work.