[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Adam Sampson azz@us-lot.org
Tue Feb 17 10:14:36 PST 2004

The Robber of Zork <robber@zork.net> writes:

> Why so shy? Which "non-Linux system"?

That's "appropriately general", not "shy". In my case, it was Solaris,
but it'd be equally true on any system that doesn't have the RPM suite
itself available. OpenPKG now have RPM available for Solaris; I
haven't tried their version lately to see if it'll cope with odd
(typically Mandrake-sourced) .rpm files, but I'd expect it probably
would.

My specific use was for browsing archives through a web interface --
supporting .debs (and, trivially, Slackware packages) was
straightforward given tar.gz support, but RPMs were quite a bit more
fiddly since standard tools couldn't be used to get the cpio archive
out.

--
Adam Sampson <azz@us-lot.org>                        <http://offog.org/>