[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Mike MacCana mikem@cyber.com.au
Mon Feb 16 16:54:48 PST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Mike MacCana (mikem@cyber.com.au):
>
> > More detail, please. Not really interested in comparisons, just want to
> > make sure you're aware of RPMs capabilities.
>
> Joey Hess had done a very thorough comparison, just in case you ever are
> interested -- mostly in order to point out (without rhetoric) that
> people alleging significant differences between the formats'
> capabilities are misinformed.
>
> http://www.kitenet.net/~joey/pkg-comp/

It was a pretty good site - now, like a lot of Linux documentation, its
incorrect is that its outdated. Off the top of my head:

To qualify as an
LSB distro, you must be able to unpack RPM v3 files - hence rpm is indeed
'unpackable by standard tools' has 'metadata accessible by standard
tools', and may/may not be 'creatable by standard tools'. (alien could
also be used to create the package, rather than rombuild, so that one
could go either way).

Also, I've heard from a number of sources that package verification on
Debian is possible with many packages, and this comapro site says it
isn't.

Mike