[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution? [was Re: RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder]

Rick Bradley roundeye@roundeye.net
Mon Feb 16 12:00:22 PST 2004

* Teh Entar-Nick (nick@teh.entar.net) [040216 14:47]:
> 	It's not unique to them.  Many general anti-windows rants are
> based on Win95, Win98, or whatever was en vogue a few years ago.  For
> example, consider all the messages you see flaming about the Blue
> Screen of Death.
>
> 	I am told it is no longer blue.

I learned this weekend (talking to an acquaintance who has the
misfortune to work on such systems) that by default XP reboots rather
than showing a *-Screen-of-Death.  There is apparently a configuration
setting nested deep within the so-called "Control" panel that disables
the reboot behavior and will indeed show the *SOD.

I suppose that's one way to minimize *SOD complaints.  Though I can
think of a much better one.

Rick
--
 http://www.rickbradley.com    MUPRN: 961
                       |  won't use it. Not if
   random email haiku  |  there's something free that