[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution? [was Re: RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder]

Mike MacCana mikem@cyber.com.au
Mon Feb 16 00:38:09 PST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Mike MacCana (mikem@cyber.com.au):
>
> > - Trolling for Debian in every Red Hat story on Slashdot (most people
> > here genererally don't seem like the type) with the usual 'there's no
> > Red Hat Desktop release anymore'.
>
> Trolls need a bridge to live under, and that's why the low-rent
> varieties love Slashdot.

Aye.

> > My personal choice is not the use the distro for a number of reasons.
> > These may or may not include 'why the hell are you asking me for the
> > names of the modules I intend to use? Welcome to PCI
> > motherfuckers'....
>
> De gustibus and all that, but you _don't_ need to pick out modules for
> PCI -- not even with the Official Debian 3.0/woody installer.  That's
> basically for antique ISAs stuff, etc.

Ah - that didn't seem clear the last time I tried Debian, but perhaps
that's changed (as I said, RH users and Windows users also tend to compare
current version of thing they like with ancient version of thing they don't).

> (Moreover, don't like some specific _one_ of the installers?  Try a
> different one.

That's true (as are the other things you've posted), but as I say below...

> > I know there's Debian equivalents of a lot of these features, but a
> > good part of this is to have just one release that includes the all
> > this stuff out of the box, rather than trying to find out what it's
> > called under Debian and get it working.

To elaborate...

The thing is, why shouldn't it DDC probe monitors by default? Why not do
the sensible thing out of the box in the default installer rather than
having me run round the net to find the one installer that does LVM, DCC
probes my monitor, and runs appropriate post-install actions for when I
add or remove a piece of hardware?

> > ...Red Hat's boot messages...
>
> I like dmesg and grep.  ;->

Sorry, I should be clearer. SysV initscript output.

> > the ability to DCC probe monitors
>
> Installing the aforementioned "read-edid" package ensures that that
> function is subsequently available to XFree86 configuration tools, among
> other things.

The thing is, why shouldn't it DDC probe monitors by default? Why not do
the sensible thing out of the box in the default installer rather than
having me run round the net to find the one installer that does LVM, DCC
probes my monitor, and runs appropriate post-install actions for when I
add or remove a piece of hardware?

Thanks for your response,

Mike