[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Mike MacCana mikem@cyber.com.au
Sun Feb 15 21:19:19 PST 2004

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Jim Richardson wrote:

> >That's a design decision - in the RPM world, package installation and
> >upgrade is seperate from configuration.

> Agreed, a design decision, which I prefer one way over the other. I
> don't automatically run upgrades, I scrutinize them, that's part of my
> job really. Although if I were so inclined, it's a simple matter to run
> the upgrade automagically, taking care of the config part. (absent any
> big glitches, like any other system)

Ah, have wondered about that. Its nifty that Debian gives you the choice.

> >> query it, get good results from a search
> >
> >More detail, please. Not really interested in comparisons, just want to
> >make sure you're aware of RPMs capabilities.
>
> Why? I've stuck with Debian after using RH and SuSE. I prefer Debian.

Just wondering (to make clear what I said above, I'm not interested in
comparision of the distro war kind, I'm interested in the real differences
- maybe there's some stuff RPM could do better (in fact, I'm sure of
that).

> More packages, and a more consistant (although sometimes annoying)
> naming policy.

Aye.

Thanks for your answers,

Mike