[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Teh Entar-Nick nick@teh.entar.net
Sun Feb 15 21:00:02 PST 2004

begin  Jim Richardson  quotation:
> Apt is great, it's a front end for dpkg, and I use it mostly. I've
> tinkered with apt on rpm distros, It's getting better, but it's not
> quite the same. Probably because there are basic differences in the
> package formats. I suspect that will get ironed out eventually.

	Nope.

	This is a painfully dull conversation about apt that has gone
'round in circles ever since Slink was released.  There is no
technical reason why apt on RPM-based distros cannot be as good as
Debian's.  The reason is that Debian has had hundreds of people
massaging packages and managing bugs about the collection and
ecosystem of packages as a whole.

	Debian's apt works as well as it does because of flame wars
about policy.

	Now would all of you Shlomi tagalongs quit posting uninspired
babble about package formats, and quit citing ENTIRE E-MAILS just to
add a SINGLE STUPID EMOTICON at the end!

	In closing: Me too.

	-- Lewis Mumford

end