[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sun Feb 15 19:41:41 PST 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 01:37:44PM +1100, Mike MacCana wrote:
>On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Jim Richardson wrote:
>
>> While I prefer .deb over .rpm. There are some things that RPM does
>> better, gpg signing packages for one, and building from srpms is a
>> easier than building from src .debs in my experience. I also find it
>> easier to create .rpm rather than .deb packages, but I prefer ti use
>> .deb because on balance, I far prefer Debian's package managing
>> system over the rpm based ones.
>
>You prefer because you prefer it? More detail please...

RPM lacks the fine grained tools that dpkg offers. The ability to
reconfigure a package, query it, get good results from a search, etc.

Apt is great, it's a front end for dpkg, and I use it mostly. I've
tinkered with apt on rpm distros, It's getting better, but it's not
quite the same. Probably because there are basic differences in the
package formats. I suspect that will get ironed out eventually.

I like the stability of Stable (stable in the sense of not changing
things that don't need changing) for servers. Fedora-legacy is a big
step forward in that area for me. It's allowed me to continue with some
existing RH 7.X servers, rather than have to reinstall with something
supported.

I like the fractured/bleeding edge of Sid, while I have occasional had
to rescue things, like Alsa, or such, that temporarily barfed, it's been
pretty stable all things considered.

Good enough ?

Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't.