[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution? [was Re: RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder]

Martin Pool mbp@samba.org
Sun Feb 15 18:36:40 PST 2004

On 16 Feb 2004, Mike MacCana <mikem@cyber.com.au> wrote:

> I like Debian. They give a massive contribution to Linux (one of the areas
> I see this most as a RH user is in Bugzilla, when fixes from Debian
> developers often solve a particular problem).

I think Debian is the best platform for contributing to Linux, rather
than just enjoying/using Linux.  The bug reporting system is good, and
people tend to respond to bugs pretty quickly.  With notable
exceptions, most package maintainers cooperate well with the upstream
maintainers.  Debian is probably the best channel for upstream
maintainers to have their code widely tested and to get useful bug
reports back.

In my experience BSD and Debian users send the best bug reports.
Gentoo users send lots of reports, but many of them seem to be pretty
new to computers.  I probably see fewer reports from other
distributions because they rev slower and have a less
developer-oriented userbase, but I think there is a difference in
focus as well.

The main point of using Debian is to develop Debian.  (It's not
solipsistic because the benefits flow outwards.)

There is a pretty strong shoemakers-children effect.  "We screw up our
glibc so you don't have to!"

--
Martin