[linux-elitists] Re: [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Tim Hammerquist tim+linux-elitists@vegeta.ath.cx
Sun Feb 15 17:13:21 PST 2004

Martin Pool wrote:
> Jim Richardson <warlock@eskimo.com> wrote:
> > Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> > >It is, in fact, *NOT* legal to sell GPL'd software[2].  appear
> > >otherwise.
> >
> > I am not clear on what you are saying here. It *is* perfectly legal
> > to sell GPL'd software. If you are claiming otherwise, please
> > clarify.
>
> I don't understand what he's saying either.  Perhaps he's confused by
> people using the term "sell software" so loosely to mean "sell copies
> of" or "sell the right to use" or "sell the copyrights on"?

This is, in fact, the distinction I failed to make in my reading as well
as response.  Again, to prevent any further misunderstandings, I direct
all curious parties to the GPL FAQ I referenced, rather than my own
postings.  gnu.org has done an exhaustive job attempting to clear up
misconceptions.

HTH,
Tim Hammerquist