[linux-elitists] Re: [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Martin Pool mbp@samba.org
Sun Feb 15 16:05:19 PST 2004

On 15 Feb 2004, Jim Richardson <warlock@eskimo.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 02:55:26AM -0800, Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> >Shlomi Fish wrote:
>

> <snip>
>
> >>2. Did not know it was perfectly legal to sell free software. (he
> >>thought it must be given away for free)
> >
> >It is, in fact, *NOT* legal
> >to sell GPL'd software[2].
> >appear otherwise.
> >

> I am not clear on what you are saying here. It *is* perfectly legal to
> sell GPL'd software. If you are claiming otherwise, please clarify.

I don't understand what he's saying either.  Perhaps he's confused by
people using the term "sell software" so loosely to mean "sell copies
of" or "sell the right to use" or "sell the copyrights on"?

--
Martin