[linux-elitists] Re: [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Martin Pool mbp@samba.org
Sun Feb 15 16:04:01 PST 2004

On 15 Feb 2004, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 02:55:26AM -0800, Tim Hammerquist wrote:
> > Shlomi Fish wrote:
> >
> > > * That they think or claim that it is the only distribution that is
> > > truly free software, which is a direct insult to the other open source
> > > distros out there.
> >
> > I don't know of any other Linux distribution which does the kind of
> > thorough license checking that Debian does.

> > In fact, AFAIK, Debian's default install doesn't contain any kernel code
> > which has been claimed by SCO.

SCO have claimed a proprietary interest in errno.h.  If it infringed
their IP in 2.4, it would presumably infringe it in 2.2.  (I realize
I'm on dangerous ground by applying logic to any SCO claims.)

A better example would be that Debian don't ship GNU FDL'd
documentation, which in some cases is the only real documentation for
packages that are otherwise acceptable.

> I take it you have never tried to install Debian on a piece of hardware
> that was built in the past 3 years?  It's a huge pain in the butt.

I'm curious what you use instead?  Or do you just tolerate butt-pain.
I like Debian, but it often annoys me too.

--
Martin