[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution? [was Re: RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder]

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Sun Feb 15 15:04:15 PST 2004

<quote who="Jim Richardson">

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 12:53:08AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > So what is not in Debian's universe of Free Software packages that you
> > are not elite enough to package yourself? What are you doing using two
> > package management tools?
>
> For me, I have several woody machines, that for client reasons, are
> running Apache2, php4.3 and MySQL 4.X. None of which are available in
> woody. Also, with another client, they have several custom packages,
> (which frankly, I am trying to convince them to eliminate) of
> apache/qmail/php and bits. Although those run on Redhat (now Fedora legacy
> for me)

That's more of a "Debian release management considered harmful" problem,
than software simply not being available. ;-)

- Jeff

    "Basically my philosophy on release management is that it should be
                like police brutality." - Maciej Stachowiak