[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution?

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sun Feb 15 12:14:37 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 12:21:30PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:

>I understand why you get all huffy about the nonchalant way Debianistas
>take towards packaging. Usually our stuff just works, that is why we
>forget about other distros. We don't need'em or even want'em.

While I prefer .deb over .rpm. There are some things that RPM does
better, gpg signing packages for one, and building from srpms is a
easier than building from src .debs in my experience. I also find it
easier to create .rpm rather than .deb packages, but I prefer ti use
.deb because on balance, I far prefer Debian's package managing system
over the rpm based ones.

Mind you, I recently converted a couple of old RH boxes to Fedora
Legacy, and yum is nice and simple for keeping systems up to date.
Haven't really "put it through it's paces" yet, but few complaints so
far.

"We are a nation of laws, poorly written and randomly enforced."
-- Frank Zappa