[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution? [was Re: RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder]

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sun Feb 15 12:06:54 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 08:56:52AM -0500, Andrew wrote:
>> So what is not in Debian's universe of Free Software packages that you
>> are not elite enough to package yourself? What are you doing using two
>> package management tools?
>
>The only one I can remember now is GNU-RADIUSd; And it's not a point of
>not being elite enough to do something but rather that it wasn't worth
>my time to do so; Debian didn't give me anything more over what I was
>already doing so why make things more complicated?
>
>Hell I already mentioned that I used Slackware; compiling from source
>and using checkinstall to quickly create a package are not foreign
>ideas to me.

I have never used Slackware, although I have considered it a time or
two, and one of these days, will do so, just because. But I have found
that I don't care for the bsd style inits, and that's somewhat holding
me back. Although the big holdback is available time.

On the init front however, Gentoo rocks. IMHO, it has the best init
system to date.

A bureaucracy is like a septic tank -- all the really big shits float
to the top.