[linux-elitists] [RANT] Debian the Elitist Distribution? [was Re: RFI: Recommendation for a good Vocabulary Builder]

Jim Richardson warlock@eskimo.com
Sun Feb 15 12:05:02 PST 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 12:53:08AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
><quote who="Andrew">
>
>> > You are not elite enough.
>>
>> Not elite enough to use two package managers?  I use Linux to simplify my
>> life, not complicate it.  Dependency tracking distros that do not have
>> every piece of software for the operating system do not make my life
>> simpler.
>
>So what is not in Debian's universe of Free Software packages that you are
>not elite enough to package yourself? What are you doing using two package
>management tools?

For me, I have several woody machines, that for client reasons, are
running Apache2, php4.3 and MySQL 4.X. None of which are available in
woody. Also, with another client, they have several custom packages,
(which frankly, I am trying to convince them to eliminate) of
apache/qmail/php and bits. Although those run on Redhat (now Fedora
legacy for me)

One man's religion is another man's belly laugh.